Thursday, February 14, 2013

Interview


            This is not the usual type of blog post I journal out, however, we were assigned, in my negotiations class, to interview someone in our industry about the negotiations and deals they make on a regular basis.
            I chose Dave Selle.  Mr. Selle is a freelance videographer as well as an active worker in the film industry.  I’ve known Dave for several years and have even worked on a few TLC, History Channel and Discovery Channel documentaries with him.  On beginning the interview, I started by asking him simply what kinds of deals he usually makes.  Being as he’s a videographer most of the time, the deals he makes are simple price negotiations.  Dave went on to tell me that it’s not too hard for him, as most of his customers are average folk, who have no knowledge of the industry.  He simply comes in, tells them his price, and they accept.  He did say, however, that when he is working with someone a little more seasoned, he does have to take a little more time to negotiate a working price.  He did say, “It’s not like my prices are unfair though…”
            I followed up with asking him if he’d encountered any foul play or dirty tricks.  I was intrigued to find out that the most difficult people he’s had to deal with are the larger companies.  He told me that when it’s just him and a client, the deal is simple.  However, a big company knows the game as he does; and a big company will definitely try and eat you up.  I asked how he combats that, and he simply said that he combats it by knowing everything he can about the project, the deal and the industry at the time. 
            With dealing with the larger companies, Dave mentioned that his low status as a free-lance videographer makes it harder for the larger companies to take him serious.  He relies on his outstanding work and word of mouth to boost his growing reputation. 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment